I stayed here for about 3 weeks in November-December 2017.
I’d be lying if I said that I didn’t have some of the best times of my life! I never stopped dreaming about it since I came back.
Do you want to help?
Click the button below and discover all the ways you can help:How you can help
The organisation provides you with food three times a day and a big, spacey and bright room at the volunteers house or hostel.
The provided food is vegan and very delicious. You will need to eat a lot, since your tasks include some amount of physical work.
Most of the volunteer’s work at the dog shelter, where you work along with local staff.
The tasks include walking the dogs, going to the beach with them, helping the staff and, of course and best, cuddling and loving the dogs.
I fell in love with almost every dog there and still sometimes daydream about them.
The weather on Sao Vicente is very warm, the city Mindelo is one of my favourite cities in the world now. It’s very relaxed and nightlife is a lot of fun, as well as all the daytime activities.
The house where you will stay is just 5 minutes away from the city center!
Silvia and Paolo take a lot of care of you, almost like real parents. Although they are busy people, they will take their time for you if needed.
It’s the small things, like being asked, whether you have already eaten and in case you haven’t being worried, that showed me how much they care for the people that volunteer. Of course it’s best, if you are a person that can handle stuff independently.
All in all I recommend this volunteering option for different reasons:
- You will be actively helping a organization that saves lifes of many many animals.
- You will love Mindelo for the relaxed people, good weather, good food, great beaches and many other things
- You will make a lot of friends for life. You get in contact with other volunteers or travellers in the hostels. Cabo Verde is not super touristic yet, so people going there to travel are usually quite open minded and do not hesitate to take steps forward.
- You will easily immerge into the local life if you want to
- Last but not least: you will give and receive a lot of love to and from dogs