In Cape Verde we are always looking for full-time or part-time volunteers, vets (experienced or recently graduated), and non-vets. Volunterring on the ground in Cape Verde is an amazing experience and we accept volunteers from all over the world.
In addition to the above requirements, all volunteers are expressly required to be tolerant, diplomatic, and possess a cooperative spirit (both with local staff, whose contribution is indispensable, and with other volunteers).
Do you want to help?
Click the button below and discover all the ways you can help:How you can help
Also, volunteers must have a willingness to understand a different culture other than their own.
In our clinic we handle both stray animals and animals with owners/guardians who have no other place to go. It is important to know how to communicate even though there may be language or cultural barriers.
Volunteers should be versatile and capable of handling stressful situations: group life, working in a different context, away from home, in a different climate, with different food options, the continual presence of animals and their owners/guardians that need attention.Working for Simabo in Cape Verde is a commitment.
The work can be physically exhausting and emotionally draining, so that could leave little room for other activities.
The goal must be “to bring aid to the animals”.
All applicants must be physically fit. Being abroad is not ideal if you suffer from gastrointestinal disorders, allergies and intolerances or other chronic disorders.
Working times and time-zone differences do not allow much time to continually contact the family if you have matters that require your attention at home.
What you will get
- Information to prepare your journey – visa, luggage, vaccinations, itinerary for island tours, etc
- Taxi from and to the airport
- One mission out of town with our staff
- Any help needed to visit Mindelo, the island of Sao Vicente, and other islands (booking of flights, ferry, and accommodation)
- One person speaking English available when needed during your stay with Simabo (almost nobody speaks English in Cape Verde)
Part time volunteers
What you will do:
- Helping at the cat shelter mainly playing with our lovely guests, tidying up the place, changing the pillowcases, feeding them, washing the plates, and closing the shelter at night.
- Helping at the dog shelter, mainly walking the dogs and taking care of them, including feeding.
- Help for cleaning is only requested in case of unexpected absence of staff.
- 4 working hours per day, at any time from 7:30 AM to 7 PM according to the working schedule of the local staff
- 5 days per week.
Full time volunteers
What you will do:
- Helping at the cat shelter mainly playing with our lovely guests, tidying up and cleaning the place, changing the cat litter, changing the pillowcases, feeding them and washing the plates, closing the shelter at night.
- Helping at the dog shelter, mainly walking the dogs and taking care of and feeding them. A help for cleaning is only requested in case of unexpected absence of the staff in charge.
- Helping at the clinic/pet shop with bathing for dogs in town or during the castration campaigns with any task needed, from catching dogs on the street, to taking care of ill animals during the night, to mounting the tent that serves as operating room, to shaving the animals to be operated, to giving dogs a soap bath, to keeping dogs still during treatment, to doing maintenance/carpentry work, to any other non/specialised work with or for the animals
- Helping at the office with communication work as posting news about life at Simabo, downloading pics taken, making photocopies, updating our site, etc.
- 8 working hours per day, at any time from 7;30 AM to 7 PM according to the working schedule of the local staff
- 6 days per week, day off to be agreed upon according to the working schedule of the local staff
For any other questions please contact us.